In recognition of the significant role of transport and ICT in building a robust knowledge-based economy in light of Qatar National Vision 2030, the Ministry of Transport and Communications was established as per Emiri Order No. 1 of 2016 amending the formation of the Council of Ministers and naming HE Jassim bin Saif Al Sulaiti as the Minister of Transport and Communications.
Emiri Decree No. 4 of 2016 sets the mandates and functions of the Ministry of Transport and Communications, as follows:
- Organizing land and maritime transport businesses;
- Developing and improving transport services, studying their projects, and supervising and following up their implementation in order to achieve the expansion of economic activity and serve the requirements of the national development scale;
- Overseeing and developing the information and communications technology sector to serve the national development requirements;
- Fostering a competitive environment that is conducive to investments;
- Securing and enhancing the efficiency of ICT infrastructure and developing the next generation thereof;
- Raising awareness of the importance of ICT and how to use it safely to improve peoples’ lives, towards building a knowledge community based on digital economy; and
- Implementing and overseeing e-government programs.